Name: Michael Callahan
Job title: Chief Marketing Officer
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
1. Where were you born and raised?
I was born in Detroit, MI and raised in Cleveland, OH. You can take the kid out of the Midwest…
2. What was your first job?
I worked in the produce department at a local grocery story.
3. What was the first product you got really excited about?
The Evil Knievel wind up motorcycle. It had perfect balance and would jump just about anything you set up. I played with that until the wheels wore off.
4. Who has been the biggest influence on your career?
I like to read a lot and alternate between fiction and non-fiction. The biggest influence on my career is a tie between the writings of David Ogilvy and the team of Al Reis/Jack Trout.
5. What has been your greatest achievement?
Meeting and marrying my beautiful wife and having two wonderful daughters.
6. What has been your biggest mistake?
Not taking enough risk earlier in my career.
7. What is your greatest strength?
Empathy. It helps me communicate effectively with someone physically in front of me and also the audience we want our message to land with.
8. What is your biggest weakness?
Ice cream. One serving is the container it comes in, right?
9. What do you think is the aspect of your role most neglected by peers?
Thinking about the outcome of any activity more than the activity itself.
10. Which word or phrase is your mantra and which word or phrase makes you squirm? Differentiation is my mantra. I can’t hide my squirmishness/nausea when someone says “let’s build the PowerPoint slides as a group.”
11. What makes you stressed?
Knowing what needs to be done but not having enough time to do it.
12. What do you do to relax?
Spend time with my family and run.
13. What is your favourite song?
You Can’t Always Get What You Want by the Rolling Stones.
14. Which book taught you most?
Differentiate or Die.
15. Do you have a team or sport that you follow?
The Ohio State University Buckeyes Football
16. Which country would you like to work in?
17. Which company do you think has the best marketing?
Patek Philippe. There is always a positive emotional response when you see their marketing.
18. What do you love most about your job?
19. What is your favourite book?
Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters by Meg Meeker.
20. What keeps you awake at night?
According to the data on my FitBit, I sleep pretty well.
PREVIOUS ARTICLE«Why are organisations in APAC less secure?
Phil Muncaster reports on China and beyond