Typical 24: Ryan Shaw, Shoreditch
on March 06 2017
Name: Ryan Shaw
Job title: CEO
Location: London UK
Years’ experience: 5 Years Business / 4 Years Financial Markets
- What time do you reach the office each day?
It varies as I may have been working until the early hours the previous night or speaking to our Chinese suppliers from home.
- Is your job varied?
Yes super. As the CEO I get involved in all aspects of the business. At the moment, I’m focusing on raising our next round of finance.
- Is your job creative?
Yes, we are always coming up with new marketing idea or creative ways to optimise the business.
- What do you spend the majority of your time doing?
It varies between raising capital, hiring and partnerships.
- Do you personalise your desk?
- Would you describe yourself as creative?
Yes I would.
- Do you have any quirky daily rituals?
Gym 3-4 times per week. Not daily but it has to be done.
- Do you tend to work on your own or with colleagues?
Both, we work in an open office so we are always having discussions.
- How many hours on average do you work a day?
- Roughly how much time do you spend each day on email? Taking calls? In meetings?
Email : 1h , Calls: 1-2h, meetings :1h
- Do you use social media much for work?
- What do you enjoy most about your work?
Its variety, working with a great team and my effort having a strong correlation with the business success.
- What type of music (if any) do you listen to at work?
- What do you do for lunch?
Our office is in the middle of nowhere, so not much variety. Local cafe or something healthy from home. We also do Deliveroo once a week.
- Do you socialise with work colleagues?
Yes, too much!
- Are there any tasks (through your career) you’ve been especially glad to get rid of?
- What is your last task of your day?
Most days I finish the day reading start-up news.
- How do you like to relax after work?
Gym or a decent box set. Just finished The Missing.
- Do you keep checking email through the evening?
- Do you take work projects home with you?
Yes all the time.
- What would you say to your 20-year old self?
Nothing, because I think all the mistakes I’ve made up until this point have led me to where I am today and I happy with where I am today… Actually, I’d tell myself to put £10,000 on Leicester Winning the Prem and Trump becoming president.
- If you could try out any job for a day, what would you choose?
Tube driver … You know why.
- What device did you use to answer these questions?
- Do you use your own personal device for work?