Forcepoint Data Loss Prevention and Symantec Data Loss Prevention: Which data loss prevention solution is better?

IT Central Station users review two of the highest reviewed solutions in the data loss prevention market - Forcepoint Data Loss Prevention and Symantec Data Loss Prevention.

For businesses seeking to protect their confidential data and comply with laws and regulations, selecting and implementing an efficient data loss prevention (DLP) solution can be quite difficult. Choosing the right solution isn't easy - every business is different, and there is no ‘one size fits all' solution.

Over 388,000 professionals have used IT Central Station research to inform their purchasing decisions. Its latest paper looks at Forcepoint Data Loss Prevention and Symantec Data Loss Prevention, two of the highest reviewed solutions in the data loss prevention market.

Below is a brief summary of the report, highlighting what real IT Central Station users think of each solution - from their most valuable features, to how they've improved individual businesses, as well as what each solution could do better.

Forcepoint Data Loss Prevention

Addresses human-centric risk with visibility and control everywhere your people and data reside

With an average rating of 8.4 from seven reviews, Forcepoint Data Loss Prevention is clearly one of the top choices in the data loss prevention market. Of interest to companies operating in the computer software, comms services, and insurance industries, Forcepoint is also popular with organisations of all sizes. 50% of reviewers come from companies with less than 200 employees, whilst midsize and larger organisations make up 21% and 29% of reviewers respectively.

Plaudits of the solution praise its unique fingerprinting technology. Many users see this as its key feature alongside its ability to provide integration to things like Cloud Access Security Broker. An intuitive GUI adds further value and establishes Forcepoint as one of the premium players in the market. However, the solution could be improved slightly. Some critics would like to see it develop more AI and machine learning capabilities, whilst others would appreciate if the initial setup was simplified and reduced in complexity.

Symantec Data Loss Prevention

Keep your sensitive corporate information safe

Achieving an average rating of 7.7 from 10 reviews, Symantec Data Loss Prevention is one of the most frequently reviewed solutions on the market. Computer software firms, comms service providers, and media companies have all expressed interest in the solution, and it endears itself to organisations of differing sizes. Small organisations account for 47% of reviews, with midsize and larger companies splitting the remaining 53% at 18% and 35% each.

Many of Symantec's users agree that the product's dashboard, management section, and reporting all perform very well. Data matching features and the endpoint security it provides are also viewed very favourably and help set the solution apart from its competitors. Despite this, the solution does have a few areas it could improve upon. Its complexity can make it difficult to use and critics would like to see the solution simplified to remedy this situation. The enforce service is also difficult to understand, and users believe that free online courses would be useful to help them gain a better understanding of how to use the product.