header-image
Application Development

InfoShot: The App-Economy's 1%

According to VisionMobile’s latest Developer Economics report, there are an estimated 2.9 million mobile developers in the world. But the app marketplace isn’t a fair and giving place. Like everything else, it’s full of the haves and the have-nots.

Just under half of those developers earn less than $100 per app per month, and 23% earn nothing at all. While some are hobbyists, there’s a significant number of professionals in financially dire straits. According to the report, “The ‘Have Nothings’ make up a staggering 88% of developers in total who look more like struggling artists than highly skilled engineers.”

Of course there are a so-called “1%” of any economy, and the app marketplace is no exception. Just 1.6% of developers earn more than $500,000 per month – more than the other 98.4% combined.

Is this sustainable? With the huge amounts of investment flowing into tech at the minute, it probably is, for a while. But with the report showing that those who target enterprises significantly less likely to be below the ‘app poverty line’, might it be time for developers to have a rethink?

21

PREVIOUS ARTICLE

« The Apple of China's Eye: How Xiaomi Pipped Samsung to #1

NEXT ARTICLE

Samsung Pays Its Way into Future of Smart Homes »
author_image
IDG Connect

IDG Connect tackles the tech stories that matter to you

  • Mail